A Tex-Mex Spin on BBQ
It is no secret that Texas is an authority when it comes to BBQ. Or that Tex-Mex cuisines also live in the hearts (and taste buds) of many Texans. They both offer their own unique twist and hold well-deserved places in the state’s culture.
But it may come as a surprise that uniting these two cuisines creates a complementary blend of flavors. With ingredients that can be easily combined to create dishes that bring together the best-of-both-worlds, Tex-Mex BBQ has become a staple in homes throughout Texas. If you’re interested in taking a stab at creating your own Tex-Mex BBQ or simply want to take your Taco Tuesday to the next level – read below for basic tips and recipes to get you started.
Let’s Start with the Basics…
Tex-Mex cuisine is often characterized by its use of cheese, beans, meats (particularly chicken, beef, or pork), peppers, and spices. Texas barbecue staples often include meats such as brisket, turkey, chicken, pork loin, and sausage served alongside complementary trimmings such as pinto beans, potato salad, mac and cheese, and more. The best parts of these cuisines are often used to create new, flavorful dishes.
Give Your BBQ a Tex-Mex Makeover
Creating your own delicious dish doesn’t have to be hard, costly, or time-consuming.
Turkey, chicken, or fan-favorite brisket offers the perfect protein bases to build from. Perfectly seasoned, ready to pair with other ingredients, and can be found at BBQ restaurants throughout Central Texas. At Smokey Mo’s BBQ, we offer barbecue meats for order by the pound making it simple to get your hands on delicious, ready-to-eat meats.
Create Your Own Tex-Mex BBQ Dish
Here are 3 Tex-Mex inspired recipes you can put together quickly using some of our most popular smoked BBQ meats.
Texas BBQ Brisket Nachos
Ingredients: Smoked Brisket, Tortilla Chips, 1 Cup of Pico De Gallo, 1 cup of corn, ¼ cup cilantro
- Rough chop your cilantro so that the pieces are slightly larger.
- Prepare your Pico de Gallo. You can pick some up from your local store to save time or try this great recipe for tasty, homemade Pico de Gallo.
- Drain, rinse, and slightly char your corn in a skillet.
- Warm and shred your brisket, then layer it over the tortilla chips.
- Lastly, add your Pico de Gallo, corn, cilantro, and optional sour cream or BBQ sauce on top.
Texas BBQ Street Tacos
Ingredients: Your choice of meat (brisket, chicken, or pork), Corn Tortillas, Cilantro, Onion, and Salsa or BBQ Sauce
- Start by finely dicing your cilantro and onion, then set it aside.
- Next heat up your choice of BBQ meat.
- Place a stack of corn tortillas on a plate, cover them with a damp paper towel, and microwave for 60 seconds. Or heat a cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat and warm the corn tortillas for 15-30 seconds on each side.
- Finally add the meat, ingredients, and your choice of salsa or BBQ sauce to the corn tortilla.
Smoked Brisket Breakfast Tacos
Ingredients: Smoked Brisket, Eggs, Flour Tortillas (Optional Toppings: Cheese, Salsa, Cilantro, and Onion)
- Start by scrambling eggs on the stovetop. Once cooked, warm and add your smoked brisket.
- Then fill a tortilla with the eggs, smoked brisket, and desired toppings.
Want to enjoy breakfast tacos without the work? Stop by Smokey Mo’s BBQ for made-to-order breakfast tacos featuring your choice of two of these items: eggs, bacon, potatoes, chorizo, beans, sausage, cheese, or brisket (+.50).
Visit Smokey Mo’s BBQ for the Best Selection of Meats
At Smokey Mo’s BBQ, we make it easy to enhance your Tex-Mex dishes or to enjoy some Texas BBQ done right. Our selection of BBQ meat is fresh-cut, tender, and always smoked to perfection.