Tips from the Pros: Catering Ideas for Any Event
Planning your catering menu – alongside all the other things you must plan for an event, such as guest list, activities, music, decorations, etc. – can get overwhelming, fast. But it doesn’t have to be. Smokey Mo’s BBQ catering professionals have compiled top ideas and best practices to help make the planning process simpler – no matter the type or size of your event.
5 Catering Menu Planning Tips for Any Event
- Know Your Audience. The catering menu for your event should accommodate a diverse guest list and match your theme. Considering adults vs. children, event time of day and chosen service style can help you create a catering menu that will appeal to the masses.
- Plan a Menu and Service Style that Matches Your Theme. Consider the reason for the event (business or pleasure?) and what fits best with the things you’ve planned. Events that run on a schedule tend to flow better and feel more buttoned-up when you select a dedicated food service time. On the other hand, events that encourage mingling may benefit from an open service, buffet-style approach.
- Offer Choices and Customize Where Possible. Our catering professionals recommend offering choices to your guest. (Not everyone has the same pallet!) Whether you’ll prepare food yourself, order a prepackaged meal, or opt for a full-service caterer, working with a place that offers customizations will help ensure there’s something for everyone.
- Plan the Right Amount of Food. How much food to order or buy will be dependent on the size of your guest list. While there is no perfect formula for calculating how much food you’ll need, we suggest following the “1/2 Pound Rule,” which recommends 1/2 pound of meat for each adult guest, plus side dishes and beverages. When you order a Group Pack or Catering meal from Smokey Mo’s BBQ, your selected choice of sides and sweet or unsweet tea will come included!
- Work with a Catering Service You Can Trust. Whether you plan to use a self-serve food option or a caterer, selecting a food provider that fits your needs and has the know-how to help successfully execute can help take the stress of the day off your shoulders. Do your research, read reviews, and try the food beforehand.
Smokey Mo’s BBQ: Catering Food Ideas by Event Type
Full-service catering packages will bring your event exceptional service, an organized feel, and the barbecue you love with customizable options.
Some of the most common events we see take advantage of full-service catering include:
- Rehearsal Dinners
- Corporate Events
- Engagement and Anniversary Parties
- And more.
Group Packages offer your barbecue favorites served with a side of convenience. Available at a per-person price and starting at a 10-person minimum, Group Packs are an affordable option to get the right amount of food for your event.
Common event types that opt for Group Packs include:
- Family-Style Dinners
- Graduation Celebrations
- Birthday Parties
- Retirement Parties
- Office Luncheons
- Business Meetings
- And more.
As a BBQ restaurant with over 20 years in business, Smokey Mo’s BBQ has experience providing catering expertise and delicious Texas BBQ for all sizes and types of events. Click here to explore our smoked meats, sides, and dessert menu for catering ideas for your event.
The Pit is LIT at Smokey Mo’s BBQ.