Honor Your Grad With a Smokey Mo’s “Grad Pack”
It’s graduation season! Another school year and class of students are headed to the finish line! With more than 9,000 public and private K–12 schools in Texas – and nearly 150 higher-education institutions – chances are someone in your circle will be celebrating this big achievement this summer! We’re here to help it go off without a hitch with our graduation catering and group packages.
Hang the Sheepskin on the Wall
The graduation ceremony is rich in style and protocol. Here are five enduring traditions:
- The diploma: With the diploma, it’s official! Academic mission accomplished. Until a century ago, diplomas were made of paper-thin sheepskin – handwritten, rolled, and tied with a ribbon. Now they’re typically printed on parchment and presented in leather binders.
- The cap and gown: Traditional graduation attire, the cap and gown date back centuries to the early universities in Europe. The cap is also called a “mortarboard” and resembles the headgear once worn by church dignitaries. Even though you may not be walking across the stage, get dressed up, and celebrate anyways!
- The tassel. The cap tassel is displayed on the right side of the cap and shifted to the left when grads receive their diplomas.
- Cap throwing: At the end of the graduation ceremony, grads typically toss their caps skyward, signaling their flight to whatever awaits them. The tradition started in 1912 at the U.S. Naval Academy and soon spread. Get together with some friends via video chat and commemorate your achievement with a cap throw!
- Pomp and Circumstance: The time-honored graduation march, Pomp and Circumstance, was created in 1901 by English composer Sir Edward Elgar. The title comes from a line in Shakespeare’s Othello, “Pride, pomp, and circumstance of glorious war!”
Make a new tradition with Smokey Mo’s BBQ! Your student has worked hard for years for this moment and we want to help make this time special for all!
Pack In the Fun with Graduation Catering!
Nothing says congratulations like BBQ for your grad and all the gang! Smokey Mo’s BBQ offers customizable catering and group packs to feed a wide range of people. Whether you’d like full-service or buffet-style eats, we have something for your party needs! Check out our guide to planning a party at home and then stop by our catering page for more information on available packages. Gather your closest family and friends – and get ready to celebrate! Choose the right package for your grad and place your order today!
Congrats, Texas grads! Smokey Mo’s BBQ wishes you a happy graduation celebration – and future!