Potato salad is a staple of summer and throughout the entire year! This versatile side dish lends itself to a variety of ingredients beyond the spud, from cooked eggs and crispy bacon to crunchy celery and fresh green herbs. At Smokey Mo’s, we serve up a traditional cold mustard and mayonnaise-based version, following an old-fashioned, down-home recipe. Our potato salad is perfect for family gatherings, pot-luck dinners, and picnics in the park.
Vive la Différence
Potato salad is believed to have originated in Germany more than 300 years ago. The Germans served it warm, with a base of vinegar or olive oil and herbs. European settlers brought the dish to America, and by the 1800s, a cold version featuring mayonnaise was introduced.
One of the best things about potato salad is that it comes in so many forms! Here are just a few variations:
- Loaded: A blend of roasted potatoes, bacon, cheese, sour cream, and chives. Smokey Mo’s baked potato with chop lends itself beautifully to this variety, always a satisfying dish.
- Dill and horseradish: Roasted potatoes mixed with plain yogurt, dill, and horseradish for an extra-tangy zip.
- Egg-zactly. Hard-boiled eggs mingled with tender potatoes, creamy mayonnaise, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, and a blend of seasonings.
- Green goddess. A summer greens version of the classic potato salad, featuring parsley, marjoram, and sugar snap peas for just the right amount of crunch.
- Mediterranean mix. Potatoes get an exotic twist with salty green olives, fresh basil, long green beans, and tangy red wine vinegar.
What’s your favorite potato salad recipe? Share it with us!
Load Up Your Plate at Smokey Mo’s
September is National Potato Month – a time to appreciate the versatility of this always-appealing vegetable. Stop by one of Smokey Mo’s 16 central Texas restaurants for the perfect potato salad! Pair it with one of our mouthwatering meats, along with other side selections and delicious desserts, for a scrumptious and satisfying meal. Dine in, carry out, or call or click in a delivery from Door Dash or Uber Eats.
Go on. Get your spud on at Smokey Mo’s!