This classic comfort food is honored with its own National Day every July 14th, but this tasty treat is a year-round staple for many.
Made with macaroni noodles, cheese, and cream or milk, mac and cheese is a dish loved by all ages. At Smokey Mo’s, this golden, gooey concoction has been a favorite since we introduced it. It can blend with any meal and shines as a side – but can also stand on its own as a main course. You can keep it standard or barbeque it up by adding a quarter pound of your favorite smoked meat, like Smokey Mo’s chop.
A Dish With a Long History
Mac and cheese got its start in Italy. The oldest known recipe dates to the 14thcentury. A cheese and pasta casserole known as makerouns, the first edition of macaroni and cheese was made with fresh-hand-cut pasta tucked between a blend of melted butter and cheese. Here are a few more fascinating facts:
- Thomas Jefferson is thought to have sampled the dish in Italy and brought back the recipe to Virginia. In 1802, he served “a pie called macaroni” at a state dinner.
- Today, Kraft sells more than one million boxes of its mac and cheese every day.
- Mac and cheese is the leading cheese recipe in the U.S. Cheddar is the cheese used most often, followed by Gruyère, Gouda, Havarti, and Parmesan.
- In 1993, Crayola named one of its crayon colors “macaroni-n-cheese.” The color? Bright orange.
Our Favorite Recipes for Leftover Mac and Cheese!
Got leftovers in your fridge? Don’t let them go to waste. Try out one of these easy-to-make recipes on your next dinner night.
- BBQ Macaroni and Cheese. Reheat your leftover mac and cheese. Not enough pasta? Simply cook up some noodles according to the instructions on your macaroni of choice and mix it in with your leftovers. Spoon your mac and cheese into a 9×13″ baking dish. Take your barbecue meat (Smokey Mo’s has a variety of meats to choose from) and layer it on top of the macaroni. Sprinkle additional cheese on top and bake until hot. You’re ready to serve!
- Taco Mac Casserole. Brown ground beef. Add taco seasoning and water – simmer until most liquid is absorbed. Reheat leftover mac and cheese and layer half of it on the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish. Top with meat and a 1/2 cup of cheese. Add the remaining macaroni on top. Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
- Next-Day Mac and Cheese Toast. Cut leftover mac and cheese into bite-size pieces. Add flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne into a mixing bowl. Dredge mac and cheese pieces through the flour and tap off excess. Mix 1 beaten egg with 2 oz. of water. Dip pieces into the egg wash and coat them with bread crumbs. Wait 5 minutes for the crust to set. Carefully drop into a pan with oil and fry until golden brown. Remove and let them cool for 2 minutes before serving.
Get Your Mac and Cheese Fix at Smokey Mo’s
What’s not to like? Mac and cheese is simply fabulous – flavorful, filling, and fun!
Get Your Fill of Mac and Cheese Today!