Summer officially kicks off June 20 – Are you ready? Swimming pools open. Ice cream trucks ding. Fireflies twinkle. And the scrumptious smell of BBQ wafts through the air.
Relax in Some Easy Livin’
Nothing says E-Z like these laid-back summer traditions:
- School vacation. Education reformer Horace Mann dreamed up the concept of summer vacation in the 1840s. His argument? Sitting in hot classrooms can harm our health, and overworked minds can lead to insanity. Thank you, Horace!
- Watermelon. Who can resist a slice of sweet, juicy watermelon – described as one of the world’s healthiest foods? Often mistaken as a fruit, watermelons are a vegetable, part of the cucumber family.
- Movies. Summer is by far the busiest time of year at movie theaters. The top three best-selling summer flicks of all time? 1) Jaws, 2) Star Wars, and 3) Jurassic Park.
- Popsicles. These refreshing ice treats were invented in 1905 by an 11-year-old boy – by accident! Today, two billion or so popsicles are sold each year. In the US, cherry is the best-selling flavor.
- Swimming. In 1827 the first American swimming school opened in Boston, Massachusetts. US President John Quincy Adams and naturalist John James Audubon were among the first students.
- Frisbee throwing. Summer’s the time when Frisbees take flight. By 1957, the plastic disc was being mass produced by Wham-O and is today a world-class sport.
- Glamping. Short for “glamorous camping,” glamping is where luxury meets adventure. The concept is to get in touch with nature without having to rough it. Think deluxe teepees, boutique yurts, and high-end treehouses. Texas offers several glamping excursions.
Bring on the BBQ!
The most memorable events of summer are often in your own back yard – with friends gathered, meat grilling, and conversations sizzling. Host a summer BBQ party with grilling tips from Smokey Mo’s. Or make it super easy. Pick up a to-go pack at one of our 16 locations, or order in from DoorDash or Uber Eats.
With summer at Smokey Mo’s, everything’s coming up…delish!