Another school year and group of students are headed to the finish line! With more than 9,000 public and private K–12 schools in Texas – and nearly 150 higher-education institutions – chances are someone in your circle will be celebrating this big achievement this summer!
Mark the milestone with a small get-together or virtual party featuring graduation catering from Smokey Mo’s BBQ! Our Grad Pack special is available at each of our 16 central Texas restaurants for pick up and takeout, or for delivery through Door Dash or Uber Eats.
Hang the Sheepskin on the Wall
The graduation ceremony is rich in style and protocol. Here are five enduring traditions:
- The diploma: With the diploma, it’s official! Academic mission accomplished. Until a century ago, diplomas were made of paper-thin sheepskin – handwritten, rolled, and tied with a ribbon. Now they’re typically printed on parchment and presented in leather binders.
- The cap and gown: Traditional graduation attire, the cap and gown date back centuries to the early universities in Europe. The cap is also called a “mortarboard” and resembles the headgear once worn by church dignitaries. Even though you may not be walking across the stage, get dressed up, and celebrate anyways!
- The tassel. The cap tassel is displayed on the right side of the cap and shifted to the left when grads receive their diplomas.
- Cap throwing: At the end of the graduation ceremony, grads typically toss their caps skyward, signaling their flight to whatever awaits them. The tradition started in 1912 at the U.S. Naval Academy and soon spread. Get together with some friends via video chat and commemorate your achievement with a cap throw!
- Pomp and Circumstance: The time-honored graduation march, Pomp and Circumstance, was created in 1901 by English composer Sir Edward Elgar. The title comes from a line in Shakespeare’s Othello, “Pride, pomp, and circumstance of glorious war!”
Don’t let current circumstances get you down – you can still celebrate BIG during COVID-19! Students have worked hard for years for this moment and we want to help with the food and fun to make this time special. Check out a few 2020 graduation party ideas to help you celebrate!
We want to help you celebrate! Submit your grad’s school, degree and honors, and optional photo and we’ll feature them in our virtual graduation ceremony video! They’ll also be ENTERED TO WIN 1 of 3 prizes including a Mini Fridge, Microwave, Gift Card, Smokey Mo’s swag, and more!
Submissions are open now through 6/16/20 – submit yours today!
Pack In the Fun!
Nothing says congratulations like BBQ for your grad and all the gang! Smokey Mo’s is offering a special graduation catering group pack that feeds up to 10 people. For $117.50, get 5 lbs. of meat, 4.5 Quarts of sides, a gallon of tea, and condiments! Gather your closest family and friends, or host a virtual party, and get ready to celebrate! Call the location nearest you or visit our website today to learn more and place your order!
Congrats, Texas grads! Smokey Mo’s wishes you a fabulous celebration and future!