Football Season is in full swing! Whether it’s NFL, college, or high school – chances are you’re watching football.
And what goes better with football than a tailgating party! A 150-year-old sports ritual, tailgating has its roots in an 1869 college football game between Rutgers and Princeton. Today, in stadiums throughout the country, the ritual continues – peppered always with three classic ingredients: food, friends, and fun!
Here are seven tailgating tips for a winning Bowl experience:
- Stick with the rules. Each stadium has strict guidelines for what you can and cannot do on-site Read the policies carefully. Be prepared to comply, or face the penalties!
- Kick off your party early. Tackle the pack-up the night before. Get to the stadium by sunrise, if you can. You’ll get the best tailgating spots if you’re in line long before the gates swing open. Most stadiums don’t allow blocking off or saving spots for other vehicles. If your group is arriving in more than one vehicle, park strategically to create maximum space for your group. Consider meeting up at a central location and caravanning to the parking lot together.
- Carry along a portable generator and TV. Don’t forget the rabbit ears or dish equipment! If you stay in the parking lot the entire time, you won’t want to miss a minute of the game. Don’t have a generator? Many stores offer rentals.
- Plan your food plays. Pre-prepared foods were made for tailgating! Keep your selections simple and easy, and make sure you have enough for the pre-, post-, and in-game parties! Score extra points with your friends with a large display of handheld food items, like baby-back ribs and chicken legs – great for snacking throughout the day. Pass on the cooking to Smokey Mo’s! You’ll get the taste of the grill without the grilling mess.
- Cover the field. Along with the food, remember to bring along other tailgating essentials: foldable chairs and tables, comfortable shoes, plastic trash bags, extra ice, wet wipes, bottled water, toilet paper, sun protection, hand sanitizer, rain gear, condiments, bottle openers, extension cords, small plastic bags for take-home leftovers, and a pop-up tent for shade.
- Play games. Spice up your mingling and Bowl watching with parking lot activities. Cards, horseshoes, and cornhole are always crowd pleasers. Let the music play – but keep the volume reasonable. Too-loud blasting can get you booted off the lot.
- Enjoy your friends. Whatever team you’re rooting for, tailgating is all about friendship. Revel in the time with your friends – and while you’re at it, make some new ones! Invite your tailgate neighbors over for a taste of your food and festivities.
Make It a Party with Smokey Mo’s!
Nothing says tailgate party like the smell of BBQ! And no one does BBQ like Smokey Mo’s.
Start your catering order off with our mouthwatering meat selections, from baby-back ribs and chicken to brisket, sausage, pork loin, and pork ribs.
Heap on the sides! Tote along our classic meat accompaniments: pinto beans, green beans, creamed corn, cole slaw, potato salad, and mac & cheese. Treat your gang to homemade sweets. Brownies, cookies, and Rice Krispie treats are easy and delicious mess-free desserts.
We’ll provide you with all the containers, plates, napkins, and cutlery so set-up and clean-up are a snap – and we’ll make sure not to forget the sauce!
Game on! With Smokey Mo’s as your tailgate partner, you can count on a winning day of tasty food and terrific fun.